Friday

FAQs

FAQs about dry embossing, paper, tools and accessories.
These are the most common questions that are asked at my demos. If you have any questions to ask, please email me and I will add them to this list.

How do you dry emboss?

First you need a stencil, cardstock, waxed paper, embossing tool and a light box.
Place your stencil on your light box. Next place your cardstock, right side down on your stencil. Rub waxed paper on your cardstock. Start tracing! Remember you only have to trace the outline, not the inside of large areas. It's so easy and looks so amazing.

What does the waxed paper do?

By rubbing the waxed paper on your cardstock, the wax transfers and makes the cardstock slick. Your embossing tool slides across the paper a lot easier. Magic...

What brand of waxed paper do you use?

Cut-Rite in the blue box. Cut into little squares and staple. I can tear off a little sheet when I need it. One little sheet lasts a long time. You usually lose it before you need another.

What type of embossing tool is the best?





I have been using the double ended wooden handled tool for years! I invested in Fiskar's cushioned gripped embossing tool and I really like those too. They are in packs of two , with four different sized nibs. Personal preference, I think. In my early years, I remember using a dead pen and a Pyrex 8x8 baking dish with a battery operated light underneath for a light box. Sometimes on a sunny day it was the window! Crafters make do.

What brand of cardstock is used on Taj's sample boards?

The majority of the time, Lasting Impressions cardstock is used. They come in the cutest prints and are made especially for dry embossing. All their cardstock are white on the back so light can shine through for easier tracing. It's a must for dark colors.

What is the best way to cut out the embossed designs?

When I first started cutting out my embossed images, I cut exactly on the edge. It's easier that way. Later on with some practice under my belt, I started to leave a little space between the embossed image and the cut edge. It makes the embossed image really POP! I think it is personal preference also. One hint is to spin your cardstock around and not your scissors. That seems to make a neater edge. I always go back and make sure my edges are even and smooth. Most of the time they aren't, but that is okay. You have to remember it's a hand crafted item so little mistakes are always acceptable.

What brand of scissors do you use?



I like Cutter Bees by EK Success. They have a nice point, sharp, small and relatively cheap. I am sure there are better scissors out there, but I like my Cutter Bees. They have a teflon coated model, Honey Bees for cutting sticky stuff. I like that pair for cutting mounting tape and when I mount my own stamps. They are really cute too! Yellow and black. I think any sharp pointy scissors will work fine.

What brand of light box do you use ? Where did you purchase it?

The majority of the time, I use my Artograph Light Box- it has a large surface- 10"x 12" and it has a tiny tray at the top so you won't lose your embossing tool. Mine never seems to get in there though. I also have one of those small portable ones that I use in a pinch. Real handy because of its compact size. I place it on a pot holder because it heats up and warps my cutting mat.

I bought mine at Aaron Brothers with a 50% off coupon. Great deal!

What do you use to color in your embossed image if you don't use printed paper?



My favorites are chalks, Twinkling H2O's and markers.

What do you use to pen in whiskers and eyes?




I like the .o1 size Zig Millennium Markers. At first, I used to place the stencil on the embossed image and pen the eyes and whiskers in, but now I just follow the raised portions and hope it comes out okay.

How do you layer the embossed image?

It still takes me awhile to figure out how to layer and cut out the pieces. It helps to follow one of Taj's samples. We always encourage people to take photos at the stamp shows and believe me, I look at them frequently. I will eventually get to some tutorials that will show how to layer the pieces. Picking out patterns and colors is up to you ! It's so hard to envision a finished piece. You can only give it a try and if it works then it works.

No comments: